Travel is always a passion of mine. However, sweets have had my heart since I was a little girl. Growing up with a sweet tooth has fueled one of my favorite hobbies, baking! So I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I did!
(for the cake)
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups of unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 2 cups of grated carrots
- 1 cup of sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of canned crushed pineapple
- Handful of chopped pecans
- Handful of golden raisins
(for the icing)
- 1/2 stick of softened butter
- 2 bars cream cheese
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar to taste, I used about 1 1/2 cups.
(for the pecan topping)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon of butter melted
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together your applesauce, flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Then fold in the carrots, coconut flakes, vanilla, crushed pineapple, pecans, and golden raisins.
- Spray two 9in cake pans with the baking spray that has flour in it and separate the mix into two pans.
- Bake for around 25-30 minutes, mine was done right at 25 minutes.
- Get the cakes out and let them cool for about 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and cream cheese with a hand mixer on medium speed.
- Mix in vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
- Chop pecans and toss them with sugar and cinnamon in the melted butter.
- Spread the pecans on a baking sheet (I covered it with tinfoil) and bake for about 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees.
How to Decorate:
- Ice the cakes with the cream cheese icing.
- Separate one spoon-full of icing into different small bowls, add green food coloring in one, and 2 drops of yellow and red to make orange.
- Pipe a little carrot right in the middle of the top of the cake.
- Surround your carrot with the toasted pecans.